The aristocratic family Pálffy is historically connected with the creation of the manor house. The building was built in the first half of the 17th century on the initiative of Count Paul IV. Palffy. The aristocratic residence then became the Pálffy family residence for 300 years. In 1918 the last noble owners left for Austria.
After 1918, the manor house was inhabited by officers of the Czechoslovak army and civil servants. An Order of St. Francis of Assisi took over the manor house in accordance with an agreement in the 1930s. Franciscans used it as a school dormitory.
The manor house was briefly used as barracks in the second half of the 20th century, and later as a hospital.
In 2007, the town of Malacky became the owner of the property. The manor house is gradually being reconstructed, and the refurbished premises are open to the public.
The manor house has undergone several structural modifications. It was built as a four-wing castel, Italian type. In 1720-1730 it was rebuilt in Baroque style. The main facade was completed with decorative stucco and baroque style mascarons. The radical rebuilding dates back to the beginning of the 19th century, when the original architectural and artistic appearance of the facades and the interior is changed in the spirit of classicist principles. The Baroque garden was replaced by a characteristic English park for classicism.
The manor house has a square base, two floors and extensive undeground area. A thoughful heating system of the entire building lead into 23 unique French-type chimneys.
The sundial located in the courtyard is also worth noting. The courtyard was dominated by a bronze statue of a deer, which, however, was not preserved. Today you can find a copy placed on the renovated well.
The original interior was decorated with many hunting trophies, valuable furniture and and a large collection of weapons. The chapel of St. Cross used to be in the corner of the east and north wings of the manor house.
Pálffy family was an old Hungarian noble family. The family became famous thanks to Nicholas II. Pálffy (1552-1600) who fought against the Turks on the side of the Habsburgs. His son Paul IV. Pálffy was the first landlord of the Pálffy family in Malacky. In 1622 acquired the Plavecký estates as a deposit, and in 1634 he became its hereditary owner. He was a prominent Hungarian politician. The highlight of his career was the position of a Palatine of the Kingdom of Hungary. He obtained the title of a Count, and became a captain of the Bratislava castle. He was a privy councillor and a chamberlain of King of Hungary. He started to build a new manor house with a park in malacky. In 1653 he established a Franciscan Monastery in the town. His body was buried in Bratislava and his heart was stored in a Malacky monastery.
After his death, his son John III. Anton Pálffy (1642-1694) took over the reins of the Plavecký estates. During his life, a manor house was built. like his father, he was also buried in Bratislava and his heart in the cryp of the monastery in Malacky. After 1707 the family line was divided in two. In accordance with the order of succession, the Plavecký estates were acquired by Nicholas V (1657-1732). He was successful in batles against the Turks, and later he was elected a Palatine of the Kingdom of Hungary.
His successor Nicholas VIII. (1710-1773) was a Hungarian chancellor. After his death, his son Charles IV. (1735-1816) became the head of the family line. He was a Chancellor of Hungary and Transylvania, and played a significant role in politics at the turn of the 18th and 19th century. In 1807, he obtained a hereditary princely title for the oldest male member of the hamily and his wife.
His son Joseph III (1764-1827) was the second prince. During his lifetime, the situation in Plavecký estates was unstable with many rebellions. His son Anton Charles (1793-1879), who was an ambassador in Saxonz for some time, was the third prince. During his life, serfdom and nobility privileges were abolished. He died childless.
Nicholas XIII, the nephew of Anton Charles, was the last member of the Pálffy family in Malacky. In 1918, he was forced to move to the Austrian town of Marchegg.
The Pálffy family held its protective hand over the town throughout its era. They determined the character of the town and its direction, for better or worse.
The Pallfy´s manor house experienced many turbulent times throughout its history. It served as a manor of the noble family, a Franciscan dormitory, military barracks, a hospital and a shelter for the homeless. Since 2007 it belongs to the town and is under reconstruction and open to the public. For these efforts the town was awarded by the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic.
Expected costs for reconstruction of the entire premises are estimated on the millions of euro. Local administration tries not to burden town budget and therefore uses grants and funds and sponsor supports. Citizens and history lovers are helpful too – they volunteer in various activities and contribute to the collection for the reconstruction of the manor.
Town of Malacky has announced fundraising campaign. The proceeds from the fundraising will be used solely for the renovation of the Palffy manor house.
If you want to help to renovate the manor house, you can do it in one of the following ways:
• pay in cash in the cash office in the municipal office
• via bank deposit on the account SK31 5600 0000 0032 7825 7023